70310 - Light Cruiser Chapaev, Project 68K, 1950, 1/700
The Chapayev class (Project 68) were a group of cruisers built for the Soviet Navy during and after World War II. Seventeen ships were planned but only seven were actually started before the German invasion. Three incomplete ships were destroyed when their building yard in Nikolaev was captured by Nazi Germany and the remaining five cruisers were only completed in 1950.
The design was based on the Kirov class cruiser, but with significant changes in armament with 4 triple 152 mm gun turrets replacing 3 triple 180 mm gun turrets. The 152mm B38 guns guns fired a 55 kg shell to 24,000m. The rate of fire was 6 to 7 rounds per minute. The guns were mounted in individual cradles with separate elevation.
The secondary armament consisted of 100mm CM-5 guns in twin enclosed powered turrets with a rate of fire of 15-18 rounds per minute. The light AA guns consisted of 37mm weapons.
The hull was enlarged protection was improved compared to the Kirov class. The machinery was based on a unit system with alternating boiler rooms and engine rooms.
The five ships were completed after the war to a modified design (Project 68K). The aircraft facilities and torpedo tubes were removed and radar and improved anti-aircraft artillery added (37mm guns in twin powered and water cooled mountings).
Photos of the kit parts soon to come
Reviews and Build Articles