70422 - Battlecruiser SMS Von der Tann, 1910, 1/700
SMS Von der Tann was the first battlecruiser built for the German Kaiserliche Marine, as well as Germany's first major turbine-powered warship. At the time of her construction, Von der Tann was the fastest dreadnought-type warship afloat, capable of reaching speeds of more than 27 knots. Built by Blohm & Voss in Hamburg, Von der Tann was the workhorse of the High Seas Fleet Scouting Squadron.
Von der Tann was designed in response to the British Invincible class. While the German design had slightly lighter guns—28 cm (11 in), compared to the 30.5 cm (12 in) Mark X mounted on the British ships—Von der Tann was faster and significantly better-armoured. She set the precedent of German battlecruisers carrying much heavier armour than their British equivalents, albeit at the cost of smaller guns.
The ship participated in a number of fleet actions during the First World War, including the Battle of Jutland, where she destroyed the British battlecruiser HMS Indefatigable within minutes of the engagement. Von der Tann was hit several times by large-calibre shells, but the damage was quickly repaired and the ship returned to the fleet in two months.
Following the end of the war in 1918, Von der Tann, along with most of the High Seas Fleet, was interned at Scapa Flow pending a decision by the Allies as to the fate of the fleet. The ship met her end when the fleet was scuttled in 1919 to prevent them falling into British hands. The wreck of Von der Tann was raised in 1930, and scrapped at Rosyth from 1931 to 1934
Photos of the kit parts soon to come
Reviews and Build Articles
- Modellmarine.de Kit Review (in German)